Trail Point 1

Rustington Lido

Opened in 1936, Rustington Lido, with its outdoor swimming pools, offered holidays with activities, accommodation and catering. It wasn’t licensed to serve alcohol but the Broadmark Hotel was right next door! Acquired by the Workers Travel Association in 1948, it was renamed Mallon Dene after James Mallon, one of the founders of the WTA. In the 1960s it was demolished and the Mallon Dene estate now occupies the site at the bottom of Broadmark Lane. - a Pathé news film about the newly opened Lido in 1936. The emphasis is on young ladies in their swimwear rather than the facilities of the holiday centre. - a short extract from a 5 minute film showing friends enjoying activities at the Lido in 1937

The image is of the Bathing Pool - Credit: Harry Clark