Trail Point 11

Modern Shops - The Primitive Methodist Chapel

This building was originally the village blacksmth's forge, but was converted and enlarged in 1878 to become the Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was in the eastern end of The Street, on the south side of the road. Behind it was Clock House Field.  The chapel was demolished in 1952, for road widening, part of the scheme that allowed the new shopping parades to be built. The Methodists opened their new church in Claigmar Road in 1952.

Another forge was opened in Broadmark Lane, at the corner of Bushby Avenue, run first by Jimmy Francis, then Mr Hubbard, who had a parrot to keep him company.